View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 18 Nov 2018, 23:26

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Bitsream Pro Rocks 
I just received my unit all the way over here in NZ. Let me just say that the unit has surpassed my expectations many times already.

Straight out of the box it worked first time and my VJ s/w gladly accepts the bitstream pro without any reconfig needed on bitstream or s/w.

This unit has unleashed the power of the s/w and the creativity to be gained is enourmous.

I am going to have many wicked sets now with this incredable unit.

Many thanks to Jerome for helping me source the unit in such a hurry too. He rocked too!

Ciao for now

01 Oct 2002, 01:43

Now that I have explored my new toy a bit further, I have a question about midi in general.

If I have a particular controller set to manipulate various functions on different midi channels and on channel one it is set to low value then I swap to channel two which is a different function and raise the value then the s/w become out of synch which the controller. When I swap back to channel one as soon as I move the knob the value jumps from low to high to reflect the new position.

Is there any way around this 'feature' beside a really whizzy controller with moterised sliders and knobs that move back to the correct position for your current midi channel???

Thanks

01 Oct 2002, 08:17

Got the answer. I dont know if it is the best solution.

If you switch to a group or midi channel that performs no function at all then you can set the slider or controller to a position very close to what it needs to be then switch to the channel or group that you want to start manipulating.

Genius!!

07 Oct 2002, 10:43

when you simultaneously press midi channel up & down, when tweaking any knob or slider, then the MIDI data are not sent ... the LCD indicates "LCK" that means lock.
This alllows you to retrieve the alphanumeric string you have assigned to the control you are tweaking, wihtout sending the MIDI event ... you can use that feature to set your knob or slider to the desired position before changing group ...

07 Oct 2002, 20:41
Profile WWW
Infinite rotaries, but their price might be too high to justify integrating them into controller such as the BSP. That would be a great hardware upgrade for the BSP2

29 Nov 2002, 06:59

please wait ... it is under development ...

29 Nov 2002, 10:41
Profile WWW

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On 2002-11-29 10:41, vincent wrote:
please wait ... it is under development ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What about existing BSP owners? Will there be an upgrade kit which gives us infinite rotaries?
[addsig]

29 Nov 2002, 11:15

On 2002-10-07 11:43, vj_apu wrote:
Got the answer. I dont know if it is the best solution.

If you switch to a group or midi channel that performs no function at all then you can set the slider or controller to a position very close to what it needs to be then switch to the channel or group that you want to start manipulating.

Genius!!

Well, this is not the BSP's fault, it's the hardware/software's fault (if one can call it that).
Native Instruments have included a genious thing in Reaktor which is called soft takeover, meaning that if a fader or a knob is being operated from MIDI remote (this is straight from the manual), it normally jumps straight to the received controller value.
With soft takeover, the control will only move when the value received via MIDI reaches or goes past the current position.

Quite an elegant solution.

However, there's nothing in the manuals for the Pro-52 and FM7 about soft takeover, which is a big shame since it's from the same company.

I say we'll form an organization with the goal to force every softsynth-maker in the world to include soft takeover in their products. [addsig]

29 Nov 2002, 11:23

to sumarize ... all the non-motorized MIDI controllers have the same behaviour, including the bitstream pro.
upgrading from analog potentiometers to endless rotary knobs is impossible, the electronic is completely different !

30 Nov 2002, 10:04
Profile WWW

Just for the record I would like to say that I would not like endless rotary knobs.

The "soft takeover" thing would be ok.

10 Jan 2003, 11:09
by the way, the "soft takeover" will be implemented into the Bitstream from firmware verion 2.0 !

06 May 2003, 22:01

I think endless knobs would be ok for using softsynths, but for using it with Live as DJmixer and FX I like to see on what position my knob is.
For the BSP2 you should have 2 sections, a mixer section and a FX or synth section and add some more funky backlighted rubber pads
and switches (and not the cheap plastik ones for it?s price, please).
Greetings!

05 Mar 2004, 06:52
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]